Birthplace: Iehman, Pennsylvania
Best Known as: Winner of Project Runway Season 1
Jay McCarroll grew up in a small mountain town in Pennsylvania
called Iehman. He studied fashion at Philadelphia University, where he now
teaches a class about making portfolios. McCarroll was the winner of the
first season of Project Runway.
He is the only winning designer to have refused to accept all of the
prizes, such as the $100,000 cash prize. The cash was to help McCarroll
create his own brand of clothing. He turned it down when he discovered
that the Weinstein Company (the production company behind
“Project Runway”) would forever take a 10% cut of all
profits made from his brand.
Designers he admires most: Walter van Beirendonck, Comme Des
Garcons, Jun Takahashi, Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen.
More on Jay McCarroll from Fact Monster:
- Jay McCarroll - Biography of Jay McCarroll, Jay McCarroll grew up in a small mountain town in Pennsylvania called Iehman. He studied fashion at Philadelphia University, where he now te…
- Project Runway: Season One - Notable challenges included designing a dress from items in a supermarket and imagining fashion from the year 2050
- Project Runway - Learn about the show that is searching for the best new fashion designers
- About Project Runway - Brief history and description of the Peabody Award winning show Project Runway
- Project Runway: Season Two - Designers in this season faced challenges involving making garments out of plants to creating a dress specifically for guest judge Iman