Died: October 11, 2008
Best Known as: popular Austrian governor and the leader of the right-wing
Alliance for Austria’s Future
Jorg Haider, a popular and sometimes controversial far-right
politician, died in a car crash during a crucial political time for
Austria. In 2008, when he died, Haider was the governor of the province of
Carinthia and the leader of the right-wing national political party called
Alliance for Austria’s Future. During Austrian parliamentary
elections in September 2008, Haider's party gained nearly a third of
voters while Austria’s two mainstream parties lost a significant
number of votes. Haider died from car crash injuries sustained when his
vehicle flipped over several times on a road in Klagenfurt,
More on Jorg Haider from Fact Monster:
- Jorg Haider - Biography of Jorg Haider, Deathplace: Klagenfurt, Austria
- Austria - Information on Austria — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- 2000 World History - 2000 World History Hillary Clinton (1947–) Vladimir Putin (1952–) Vicente Fox Quesada ...
- Information Please: 2000 - 2000 Previous Year | Next Year World | U.S. | Economics | Sports | Entertainment | Science | Deaths ...
- Information Please: 2008 - 2008 Previous Year | Next Year World | U.S. | Economics | Sports | Entertainment | Science | Deaths ...