Born: 3 September 1913
Died: 29 January 1964
Birthplace: Hot Springs, Arkansas
Best known as: Star of the 1953 western Shane
Alan Ladd was in several B-grade movies early on in his career, then hit it big as the cold-blooded killer, Raven, in 1941's This Gun For Hire. During the 1940s Ladd, who was short, blonde and blue-eyed, played mostly tough guys in movies such as The Glass Key and The Blue Dahlia. Although his star-power waned after World War II, his most famous performance came as the title character in 1953's Shane. In 1962 Ladd attempted suicide, and in 1964 he died from an apparent overdose of alcohol and sedatives.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Alan Ladd from Fact Monster:
- Alan Ladd - Alan Ladd actor Born: 9/3/1913 Birthplace: Hot Springs, Arkansas Film star of the '40s and ...
- Alan Ladd - Biography of Alan Ladd, Star of the 1953 western Shane
- Graham Greene - Biography of Graham Greene, Author of The Honorary Consul and The Third Man
- Jack Palance - Biography of Jack Palance, The creepy trail boss Curly in City Slickers
- Arkansas - Information on Arkansas — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.