Alfred North WhiteheadMathematician / Philosopher
Born: 15 February 1861
Died: 30 December 1947
Birthplace: Ramsgate, Kent, England
Best known as: Mathematician who turned to metaphysics and religion
Alfred North Whitehead began teaching mathematics in 1884 at Trinity College in Cambridge, England. Between 1910 and 1913 he published the three-volume work Principia Mathematica
with his former student, Bertrand Russell
, an attempt to define the logical foundation of science and mathematics. Whitehead taught in England until 1924, when he moved to the United States to accept a chair in philosophy from Harvard University. In 1929 he published Process and Reality
, and spent the rest of his life writing and lecturing on what is called process theology.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Alfred North Whitehead from Fact Monster:
- Alfred North Whitehead - Whitehead, Alfred North Whitehead, Alfred North, 1861–1947, English mathematician and ...
- Alfred North Whitehead - Biography of Alfred North Whitehead, Mathematician who turned to metaphysics and religion
- W. V. Quine - Quine, W. V. Quine, W. V. (Willard Van Orman Quine), 1908–2000, American philosopher and ...
- Thomas Hill Green - Green, Thomas Hill Green, Thomas Hill, 1836–82, English idealist philosopher. Educated at ...
- Susanne Knauth Langer - Langer, Susanne Knauth Langer, Susanne Knauth , 1895–1986, American philosopher, b. New York ...