Born: 25 April 1940
Birthplace: New York City,
Best known as: Star of The Godfather and Scent of a Woman
Al Pacino went from success on the New York stage to almost instant stardom in the movies, thanks to his Oscar-nominated role as Michael Corleone in Francis Ford Coppola
's The Godfather
(1972, also starring Marlon Brando
). Pacino was a critical and popular hit in the 1970s, specializing in gritty dramas such as real-life cop Serpico
(1973, Oscar nomination), The Godfather, Part II
(1974, Oscar nomination), Dog Day Afternoon,
(1975, Oscar nomination) and ...And Justice for All
(1979, Oscar nomination). In the '80s he made only a handful of films, but in the '90s he made more than a dozen movies, including 1992's Scent of a Woman,
for which he won an Oscar, Glengarry Glen Ross
(1992, Oscar nomination), Heat
(1995, co-starring Robert DeNiro
) and The Insider
(1999, with Russell Crowe
). One of the most celebrated actors in movie history, Pacino hasn't lead a box office money-maker since 2002's Insomnia
(with Robin Williams
), but he's still going strong. His other films include Donnie Brasco
(1997, with Johnny Depp
), The Recruit
(2003, with Colin Farrell
), Ocean's 13
(2007, starring George Clooney
) and Righteous Kill
(2008, with DeNiro again).
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Al Pacino from Fact Monster:
- Al Pacino - Al Pacino actor Born: 4/25/1940 Birthplace: New York City Academy and Tony Award-winning film and ...
- Al Pacino - Pacino, Al Pacino, Al (Alberto Pacino), 1940–, American actor, b. New York City, studied at ...
- Al Pacino - Biography of Al Pacino, Star of The Godfather and Scent of a Woman
- Eli Wallach - Eli Wallach actor Born: 12/7/1915 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York A distinguished actor with a ...
- Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio - Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio actress Born: 11/17/1958 Birthplace: Oak Park, Illinois Stage and film ...