Amanda CoetzerTennis Player
Born: 22 October 1971
Birthplace: Hoopstad, South Africa
Best known as: South Africa's top tennis star in the early 2000s
Amanda Coetzer is a tennis player from South Africa who made her runs at championships in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Coetzer turned pro in 1988 and began a steady if unspectacular career: her highest world ranking was #3 late in the 1997 season. By the end of 2000 she had won seven singles and seven doubles tournament titles. Her best showing in Grand Slam tournaments came in reaching the semi-finals of the Australian Open (1996 and '97) and the French Open (1997). Coetzer was sometimes called a "giant-killer," thanks to her height (only 5'2") and her habit of beating higher-ranked players, including multiple victories over Steffi Graf
in the 1990s. Coetzer had her last big victory in 2003; as with Anna Kournikova
and Martina Hingis
, Coetzer's blonde good looks made her a favorite with Internet fans.
Coetzer played for South Africa in the Olympics in 1992, 1996 and 2000.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Amanda Coetzer from Fact Monster:
- Amanda Coetzer - Biography of Amanda Coetzer, South Africa's top tennis star in the early 2000s
- Anna Kournikova - Biography of Anna Kournikova, Famously blonde tennis star of the late 1990s
- Serena Williams - Biography of Serena Williams, The younger half of the tennis-playing Williams sisters
- October 22 Birthdays: Franz Liszt - October 22 birthdays: Franz Liszt, Amanda Coetzer, Jeff Goldblum, Catherine Deneuve, Sarah Bernhardt, Christopher Lloyd, Bobby Seale, Doris Lessing, Collis Potter Huntington, Annette Funicello, John Reed
- Selected Biographies: C - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters