Andre AgassiTennis Player
Born: 29 April 1970
Birthplace: Las Vegas, Nevada
Best known as: Steffi Graf's husband, the tennis champ
In two decades of tennis, U.S. player Andre Agassi went from being the young rebel with glam-rock hair to the grand "old man" with a head as smooth as a clay court -- and one of the greatest players in the game's history. He began playing professionally in 1986, and by 1988 had won more than $2 million in prize money. Throughout the 1990s, men's tennis was dominated by the back-and-forth rivalry of Agassi and Pete Sampras
. Agassi's flashy clothes, stylish hair and bad-boy attitude were the perfect counterpoint to Sampras's steady, clean-cut power game. In his career Agassi won more than 850 singles matches, including 60 titles, 8 Grand Slams and an Olympic Gold Medal (Atlanta, 1996). In later years Agassi shaved his head and became a more sober and beloved figure in tennis, still ranking highly after 20 years in the game. In 2005 he made it to the finals of the U.S. Open at age 35 (he lost to Roger Federer
). Plagued by back problems, he retired after losing in the third round the 2006 US Open. He surprised fans by admitting, in his 2009 autobiography, that he had used the drug crystal meth in 1997 and had lied to hide his use from tennis officials.
Agassi was married to actress Brooke Shields from 1997-99… He married tennis great Steffi Graf in 2001, and they have two children… Agassi’s sister was married to tennis pro Pancho Gonzales… Agassi’s father, Emmanuel “Mike” Agassi, was an Olympic boxer for Iran in 1948 and 1952 before emigrating to Chicago.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Andre Agassi from Fact Monster:
- Andre Agassi - Andre Agassi Born: Apr. 29, 1970 Tennis 53 career tournament wins including the career grand slam; ...
- Andre Agassi - Biography of Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf's husband, the tennis champ
- Jim Courier - Jim Courier Born: Aug. 17, 1970 Tennis No. 1 player in world in 1992, won 2 Australian Opens ...
- Mark McCormack - Mark McCormack Born: Nov. 6, 1930 founder and CEO of International Management Group (IMG), the ...
- Steffi Graf - Steffi Graf Born: June 14, 1969 German tennis player won Grand Slam and Olympic gold medal in 1988 ...