Born: 9 November 1928
Died: 4 October 1974 (Suicide by asphyxiation )
Birthplace: Newton, Massachusetts
Best known as: Confessional American poet of the 1960s and '70s
<p>Name at birth: Anne Gray Harvey</p>
Anne Sexton married at the age of 19, worked briefly as a model and then started a family. Sexton suffered from depression and had mental breakdowns and suicidal bouts after the births of her children and the deaths of her parents. In the late 1950s she began writing poetry as therapy and was soon "discovered" by the literary world for her unapologetically autobiographical poems. The recipient of many awards and grants, she won the Pulitzer Prize in 1966 for Live or Die. In 1974 she committed suicide.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Anne Sexton from Fact Monster:
- Anne Sexton - Sexton, Anne Sexton, Anne (Harvey), 1928–74, American poet, b. Newton, Mass. Educated at ...
- Anne Sexton - Biography of Anne Sexton, Confessional American poet of the 1960s and '70s
- Father's Day Quotations - Father's Day Quotations Compiled by Elizabeth Olson "For rarely are sons similar to their ...
- Marianne Moore - Biography of Marianne Moore, Tricorn hat-wearing modernist poet
- November 9 Birthdays: Carl Sagan - November 9 birthdays: Carl Sagan, Lou Ferrigno, David Duval, Ivan Turgenev, Benjamin Banneker, Gail Borden, Stanford White, Elijah Lovejoy, Anne Sexton