Born: 2 October 1949
Birthplace: Waterbury, Connecticut
Best known as: Portrait photographer for Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair
Photographer Annie Leibovitz has been a portraitist of celebrities since 1970, when she first went to work for Rolling Stone
magazine. By the time she left in 1983 she'd made dozens of iconic photos of heads of state, movie actors and rock stars. Her best known piece of the era was a photograph of naked John Lennon
curled up with clothed Yoko Ono, taken the day he was killed by Mark David Chapman
. As a photographer for Vanity Fair
(since 1983) she's made headlines with photos of Demi Moore
(naked and pregnant), Whoopi Goldberg
(in a bathtub) and Suri Cruise (infant daughter of movie stars Katie Holmes
and Tom Cruise
). Her photos have been on national exhibit tours and Leibovitz has published several books, including Olympic Portraits
(2000) and A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005
Leibovitz toured with the band the Rolling Stones in 1975… She had a long relationship with critic Susan Sontag, from 1988 until Sontag’s death in 2004.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Annie Leibovitz from Fact Monster:
- Annie Leibovitz - Annie Leibovitz photographer Born: 1949 Annie Leibovitz is a photographer of celebrities who has ...
- Annie Leibovitz - Leibovitz, Annie Leibovitz, Annie, 1949–, American photographer, b. Waterbury, Conn., as ...
- Annie Leibovitz - Biography of Annie Leibovitz, Portrait photographer for Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair
- Follow in Their Footsteps - Follow in Their Footsteps You can be anything you want to be. Here are only a handful of the ...
- A Few Great Artists - A Few Great Artists Leonardo Da Vinci (1452–1519) Italian Renaissance artist who was most ...