Died: 16 April 1689
Birthplace: Near Canterbury, England
Best known as: 17th century English writer
<p>Name at birth: Aphra Johnson</p>
In the 1660s, Aphra Behn served as a spy in Belgium for King Charles II, who had just gained the throne of England after the rule of the Cromwells. By 1670 her first play was produced, The Forced Marriage, the first in a string of successful plays. During the remainder of her life she wrote plays, poems and novels, and is considered one of the first women professional writers in the English language.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Aphra Behn from Fact Monster:
- Aphra Behn - Behn, Aphra Behn, Aphra , 1640–89, first professional female English author. Little is known ...
- Aphra Behn - Biography of Aphra Behn, 17th century English writer
- Thomas Southerne - Southerne, Thomas Southerne, Thomas , 1660–1746, English dramatist, b. Ireland. Educated at ...
- Thomas Killigrew - Killigrew, Thomas Killigrew, Thomas , 1612–83, English dramatist and theater manager, b. ...
- Love Poem Quotations - Celebrating the spirit of love