Art FlemingGame Show Host
Born: 1 May 1924
Died: 25 April 1995 (pancreatic cancer )
Birthplace: New York City,
Best known as: The of TV's Jeopardy!
Art Fleming hosted the original version of the TV quiz show Jeopardy! from 1964 to 1975. The show's popularity and distinctive format -- contestants were given an answer and had to ask the right question -- made Art Fleming one of TV's best-known quiz hosts. He hosted a brief revival of Jeopardy! during the 1978-79 season. Jeopardy! was resurrected in a syndicated version in 1984, with Alex Trebek replacing Fleming as host. But Art Fleming remained a fan favorite, even making an appearance in the 'Weird Al' Yankovic music video parody "I Lost on Jeopardy."
Art Fleming is no relation to Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond… Art Fleming was cremated after his death and his ashes were scattered at sea, according to the FindAGrave website.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Art Fleming from Fact Monster:
- Art Fleming - Biography of Art Fleming, Host of TV's Jeopardy!
- Alex Trebek - Biography of Alex Trebek, Host of the TV quiz show Jeopardy!
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic - Biography of 'Weird Al' Yankovic, Singer of "I Lost on Jeopardy" and other parody tunes
- Merv Griffin - Biography of Merv Griffin, TV host who created Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!
- Selected Biographies: F - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters