Born: 14 November 1907
Died: 28 January 2002 (Natural causes )
Birthplace: Vimmerby, Sweden
Best known as: The author of Pippi Longstocking
<p>Name at birth: Astrid Ericson</p>
Astrid Lindgren is the author of the successful Pippi Longstocking series for young readers. She began writing stories for children in the 1930s, and in 1945 she published the original Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump), the first of many tales that featured a ponytailed girl with superhuman strength. Lindgren, who wrote dozens of books for children, also worked as an editor for a publishing house, where she used her influence to bring translations of the world's best children's literature to her native Sweden.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Astrid Lindgren from Fact Monster:
- Astrid Lindgren - Biography of Astrid Lindgren, The author of Pippi Longstocking
- Great Characters You Should Know - Great Characters You Should Know Do you know Charlotte, Hans, and Alice? They are friends of your ...
- Pippi Longstocking - Biography of Pippi Longstocking, Super-strong girl with long red ponytails
- Lasse Hallström - Lasse Hallström (Lars Hallström) director, screenwriter, producer Born: 6/6/1946 ...
- Maurice Sendak - Biography of Maurice Sendak, Creator of Where the Wild Things Are