Born: 24 December 1922
Died: 25 January 1990 (pneumonia )
Birthplace: Grabtown, North Carolina
Best known as: The Oscar-nominated actress who married Frank Sinatra
Ava Lavinia Gardner was a famous Hollywood beauty of the 1940s and 1950s. Her stunning looks made her one of the most popular leading ladies of the day, and her reputation for wild behavior -- and marriages to stars Mickey Rooney, Artie Shaw, and Frank Sinatra -- made her a favorite with gossip magazines. Her best-known films include Showboat (1951) and The Barefoot Contessa (1953). She received her only Oscar nomination for Mogambo (1953). Her autobiography Ava, My Story was published after her death.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Ava Gardner from Fact Monster:
- Ava Gardner - Ava Gardner actress Born: 12/24/1922 Birthplace: Smithfield, North Carolina Glamorous actress known ...
- Ava Gardner - Biography of Ava Gardner, Actress wife of Frank Sinatra
- Mickey Rooney - Mickey Rooney actor Born: 9/23/1920 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York Academy Award-winning film, ...
- Artie Shaw - Biography of Artie Shaw, Clarinet-playing big band leader who recorded Begin the Beguine
- Betty Grable - Biography of Betty Grable, Pinup queen of World War II