Birthplace: Ancient Greece
Best known as: The man who tamed Pegasus
A tragic hero of Greek myth, Bellerophon is best known as the man who tamed the winged horse Pegasus
. Together the two slew the nasty monster Chimera and performed other great deeds. Bellerophon's story ended badly: his ego grew so great that he determined to fly up to heaven on Pegasus to join the immortal gods. Pegasus threw his rider (some say after a bite from a gadfly sent by Zeus) and Bellerophon spent the rest of his days wandering Earth, rejected by gods and men.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Bellerophon from Fact Monster:
- Bellerophon - Bellerophon Bellerophon , in Greek mythology, son of Glaucus; originally called Hipponoüs. He ...
- Bellerophon - Biography of Bellerophon, The man who tamed Pegasus
- Chimera - Chimera: Chimera: see Bellerophon and Typhon.
- Pegasus - Biography of Pegasus, Famous flying horse of Greek myth
- Glaucus - Glaucus Glaucus , in Greek mythology. 1. Sea god who loved Scylla. 2. Trojan hero who, according to ...