Benjamin HarrisonU.S. President
Born: 20 August 1833
Died: 13 March 1901
Birthplace: North Bend, Ohio
Best known as: President of the United States 1889-1893
Benjamin Harrison was a Civil War general and a Republican senator from Indiana before defeating incumbent Grover Cleveland in the 1888 presidential election. His presidency was undistinguished, but his family tree was not: Harrison's great-grandfather was a signer of the Declaration of Independence; his grandfather was William Henry Harrison, ninth president of the United States; and his father was a congressman from Ohio. In a try for a second term, Harrison was defeated by Grover Cleveland in a rematch of their 1888 race.
Benjamin Harrison’s first wife, Caroline Scott Harrison, died less than a month before Harrison lost his reelection bid… He was the 23rd president of the United States.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Benjamin Harrison from Fact Monster:
- Benjamin Harrison - Benjamin Harrison Born: 8/20/1833 Birthplace: North Bend, Ohio Benjamin Harrison was born in North ...
- Benjamin Harrison, President of the United States - Harrison, Benjamin Harrison, Benjamin, 1833–1901, 23d President of the United States ...
- Benjamin HARRISON - HARRISON, Benjamin (1726—1791) HARRISON, Benjamin, (father of Carter Bassett Harrison and ...
- Benjamin HARRISON - HARRISON, Benjamin (1833—1901) Senate Years of Service: 1881-1887 Party: Republican HARRISON, ...
- Benjamin Harrison - Biography of Benjamin Harrison, President of the United States 1889-1893