Bill MurrayActor / Comedian
Born: 21 September 1950
Birthplace: Wilmette, Illinois
Best known as: Comic star of Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day
Ironically insincere and yet somehow soft-hearted, Bill Murray is the best-known star to emerge from the cast of TV's Saturday Night Live
. On SNL
from 1977-80 he created the cheesy lounge crooner, Nick, and other lovably smarmy characters. He then starred in two of the top-grossing comedies of the 1980s: playing a woolly-headed groundskeeper in Caddyshack
(1980, co-written by Douglas Kenney
) and a slick-talking investigator in Ghostbusters
(1984, with fellow SNL
alumnus Dan Aykroyd
). Murray's comedy hits in the 1990s included Groundhog Day
(1993, with Punxsutawney Phil
) and the Amish bowling story Kingpin
(1996, with Randy Quaid
). He also took more serious roles, playing a mobster in Mad Dog and Glory
(1993, with Robert DeNiro
) and an eccentric businessman in Wes Anderson's Rushmore
(1998). He was nominated for a best actor Oscar for his role as a jet-lagged movie star in Tokyo in Sofia Coppola
's film Lost in Translation
(2003). Murray is an avid golfer and a particular fan favorite at the annual AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.
Murray’s brother Brian Doyle-Murray is also an actor and writer, and was one of the co-writers of Caddyshack.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Bill Murray from Fact Monster:
- Bill Murray - Bill Murray actor, screenwriter, comedian Born: 9/21/1950 Birthplace: Willmette, Illinois Like so ...
- Bill Murray - Biography of Bill Murray, Comic star of Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day
- Ghostbusters - Starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis
- Larger Than Life - Starring Bill Murray, Janeane Garofalo, Lois Smith, Anita Gillette, Jeremy Piven
- Harold Ramis - Harold Ramis screenwriter, actor, director, producer Born: 11/21/1944 Birthplace: Chicago Formerly ...