Born: 28 September 1934
Birthplace: Paris, France
Best known as: Sexy French star of And God Created Woman
French actress Brigitte Bardot appeared in husband Roger Vadim
's 1956 movie And God Created Woman
and became a star. Under Vadim's guidance during their marriage (1952-57), Bardot went from a child-woman teen model to an international sex symbol. Throughout the 1960s, her image was that of the blonde and wild -- but innocent -- "sex kitten" of the screen. The image is easier to recall than most of her films, with some exceptions, including The Truth
(1960) and Jean-Luc Godard
(1963). She retired from films in 1974, but -- a popular figure in France -- she still makes headlines on occasion in her role as a champion for animals. She was convicted in 2008 of violating France's anti-racism laws for publicly condemning Muslims who slaughter sheep for the celebratory feast of Aid el-Kebir (Eid al-Adha).
Roger Vadim later married Jane Fonda… Other bombshell movie stars of the 1950s included Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida… Pop songs she recorded in the 1960s with Serge Gainsbourg saw a resurgence in popularity in the 1990s, after Gainsbourg’s death in 1991.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Brigitte Bardot from Fact Monster:
- Brigitte Bardot - Brigitte Bardot actress Born: 9/28/1934 Birthplace: Paris, France Actress who often portrayed sexy, ...
- Brigitte Bardot - Biography of Brigitte Bardot, Sexy French star of And God Created Woman
- Roger Vadim - Biography of Roger Vadim, Director of And God Created Woman
- Jean-Luc Godard - Biography of Jean-Luc Godard, Existentialist, Marxist French movie director
- Catherine Deneuve - Biography of Catherine Deneuve, Star of the movie Belle du Jour