Died: 26 October 1890
Birthplace: Florence, Italy
Best known as: The creator of Pinocchio
<p>Name at birth: Carlo Lorenzini</p>
A journalist by profession, Collodi is better known as the author of the fairy tale The Adventures of Pinocchio. The title character is a wooden marionette who comes to life and has various naughty adventures before revealing his good heart and becoming a living boy at last. Collodi published chapters of the story in serial form in an Italian newspaper beginning in 1881, and the story became a book in 1883. A cheery animated film of the story was released by Walt Disney in 1940.
The author borrowed the pen name of ‘Collodi’ from his mother’s home town.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Carlo Collodi from Fact Monster:
- Carlo Collodi - Collodi, Carlo Collodi, Carlo , pseud. of Carlo Lorenzini, 1826–90, Italian author. A ...
- Carlo Collodi - Biography of Carlo Collodi, The creator of Pinocchio
- Pinocchio - Biography of Pinocchio, The boy whose nose grew when he told a lie
- Pinocchio (1940) - Starring Mel Blanc, Don Brodie, Walter Catlett, Frankie Darro, Cliff Edwards
- children's literature: A Flowering of Children's Literature - A Flowering of Children's Literature Contrasting with the didactic movement was 19th-century ...