Born: 30 March 1968
Birthplace: Charlemagne, Quebec, Canada
Best known as: Singer of "My Heart Will Go On," the theme from Titanic
Céline Dion has made a career of singing emotional, no-holds-barred pop ballads like "My Heart Will Go On," her Grammy-winning theme to the movie Titanic
. The youngest in a musical family from rural Quebec, Céline Dion started her singing career early. As a teenager, she was already a popular recording artist in Japan and Europe. Dion's duet with Peabo Bryson on the Disney song "Beauty and the Beast" catapulted her to international fame. It was followed by the albums "The Colour of My Love" (1993) and "Deux" (1995). In 1996 the Grammy-winning album "Falling Into You" cemented her reputation for sultry love ballads. In 1998 Céline Dion reached perhaps the peak of her popularity: her album Let's Talk About Love
was released along with "My Heart Will Go On," the soaring theme to James Cameron
's Oscar-winning romantic drama Titanic
(starring Leonardo DiCaprio
and Kate Winslet
). After a few years of self-imposed semi-retirement, Dion began a nearly five-year run in A New Day
, her own show at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas; Dion did 717 performances of the show from 2003-2007. In 2011 she announced her return to Caesar's Palace for a fresh three-year run.
Céline Dion married her manager, Rene Angelil, in December of 1994; he is 25 years her senior… After a much-publicized pregnancy, Céline Dion gave birth to a son, Rene Charles, on 25 January 2001. She gave birth to twin boys, Nelson and Eddy, on 23 October 2010… Céline has had good musical fortune at the movies, with hits from Disney‘s animated Beauty and the Beast (1991), the 1993 comedy Sleepless in Seattle and Titanic… According to her website at Caesar’s Palace, Dion has sold over 200 million albums during her career.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Celine Dion from Fact Monster:
- Celine Dion - Celine Dion musician Born: 3/30/1968 Birthplace: Charlemagne, Quebec, Canada Enormously successful ...
- Celine Dion - Biography of Celine Dion, Singer of "My Heart Will Go On," the theme from Titanic
- 2005 Top 20 Concert Tours - 2005 Top 20 Concert Tours Rank Artist Gross in millions Average ticket price 1. The Rolling Stones ...
- Bette Midler - Biography of Bette Midler, Brash singer nicknamed "The Divine Miss M"
- The Strokes - Biography of The Strokes, Rock band who did the song "Last Nite"