Born: 14 June 1928
Died: 9 October 1967 (execution )
Birthplace: Rosario, Argentina
Best known as: Latin American Marxist revolutionary
<p>Name at birth: Ernesto Guevara de la Serna</p>
Ernest "Che" Guevara worked and studied medicine in various parts of Latin America before teaming up with Fidel Castro in 1959 to force a revolution in Cuba. After the revolution, Guevara was second only to Castro in power. In 1965 he left Cuba and traveled the world, working unsuccessfully toward Marxist/Leninist revolutions in the Congo and Bolivia. Known for his flamboyance and ruthless dedication to revolution, Guevara became an anti-capitalist icon in the 1960s. He was captured in Bolivia by U.S.-backed military forces and executed in 1967.
Guevara’s remains were discovered in Bolivia in 1997 and moved to a mausoleum in Cuba… He was played by actor Benicio Del Toro in the 2008 film Che, directed by Steven Soderbergh.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Che Guevara from Fact Monster:
- Che Guevara - Che Guevara 1928–67, Cuban revolutionary and political leader October 9 marks the anniversary ...
- Che Guevara - Guevara, Che Guevara, Che (Ernesto Guevara), 1928–67, Cuban revolutionary and political ...
- Che Guevara - Biography of Che Guevara, Latin American Marxist revolutionary
- Bolivia - Information on Bolivia — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Cuba - Information on Cuba — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.