Born: 1 February 1901
Died: 16 November 1960 (heart failure )
Birthplace: Cadiz, Ohio
Best known as: Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind
<p>Name at birth: William Clark Gable</p>
Clark Gable was a popular leading man in the movies for nearly thirty years. His big ears and cocky grin helped define his screen persona as a rascal, most famously in It Happened One Night (1934, directed by Frank Capra). His stature as a romantic hero was cemented as Rhett Butler, opposite Vivien Leigh in Gone With the Wind (1939). Off-screen, he had a famous tragic romance with actress Carole Lombard, who was killed in a plane wreck in 1942. At the age of 41 Gable enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps, serving in World War II and eventually reaching the rank of Major.
Gable’s last film, 1961’s The Misfits, was also the final film of Marilyn Monroe and the antepenultimate film of co-star Montgomery Clift.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Clark Gable from Fact Monster:
- Clark Gable - Clark Gable actor Born: 2/1/1901 Birthplace: Cadiz, Ohio Academy Award-winning film actor, known in ...
- Clark Gable - Gable, Clark Gable, Clark, 1901–60, American film actor, b. Cadiz, Ohio. He began his career ...
- Clark Gable - Biography of Clark Gable, Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind
- Carole Lombard - Carole Lombard (Jane Alice Peters) actress Born: 10/6/1908 Birthplace: Fort Wayne, Indiana ...
- Olivia De Havilland - Biography of Olivia De Havilland, Melanie in Gone With the Wind