Born: 20 January 1946
Birthplace: Missoula, Montana
Best known as: The director of Blue Velvet
David Lynch is famous for writing and directing what can only be called "David Lynch movies," features whose perplexing plots are often a surreal mix of wonder and repugnance. After his first film, Eraserhead
(1976), became a cult hit on the midnight movie circuit, Lynch was tapped by Mel Brooks
to direct The Elephant Man
(1980, the story of Joseph Merrick
). The film was a critical and box-office success and he was nominated for an Oscar. His next film was 1984's unsuccessful version of Frank Herbert
's classic sci-fi novel, Dune
, but he bounced back with Blue Velvet
(1986, starring Dennis Hopper
) and firmly established himself as a unique filmmaker who could appeal to more than arthouse crowds. He has ventured into television, most famously for a Calvin Klein
commercial and for the series Twin Peaks
(1990). His other feature films include Wild at Heart
(1990, starring Nicolas Cage
), Lost Highway
(1997) and The Straight Story
(1999, starring Sissy Spacek
). His 2001 film Mulholland Drive
earned him another Oscar nomination for Best Director.
Lynch is also a photographer, musician and painter… His daughter, Jennifer Lynch, wrote and directed the 1992 feature film Boxing Helena.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on David Lynch from Fact Monster:
- David Lynch - David Lynch director Born: 1/20/1946 Birthplace: Missoula, Montana Film and television director ...
- David Lynch - Biography of David Lynch, The director of Blue Velvet
- Michael Ontkean - Michael Ontkean actor Born: 1/24/1946? Birthplace: Vancouver, British Columbia A former child ...
- The Columbia Encyclopdia <i>Sixth Edition</i> - The Columbia Encyclopdia Sixth Edition Editor Paul Lagassé Senior Editors Lora Goldman ...
- Jack Nance - Jack Nance (Marvin John Nance) actor Born: 12/21/1943 Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts Nance acted ...