King Edward VIIRoyalty
Born: 9 November 1841
Died: 6 May 1910
Birthplace: London, England
Best known as: King of Great Britain and Ireland, 1901-1910
Edward VII was the king of Great Britain and Ireland from 1901 until his death in 1910. Christened Albert Edward, he was the eldest son of Queen Victoria
and Prince Albert
of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. "Bertie" was the Prince of Wales and heir apparent for 60 years. An unruly brat as a child, his parents considered him too irresponsible for political power, so when he grew up he spent his time on extramarital dalliances and a high-profile sporting life. An amiable figurehead as king, he traveled the world as the "Peacemaker," encouraging international friendship (especially with France). He married Denmark's Princess Alexandra in 1863 and they had six children. After Edward's death their son, the Duke of York, took the throne as George V.
King Edward VII was said to have had affairs with such luminaries as singer Lillie Langtry and actress Sarah Bernhardt
... Edward had a not-so-secret affair with Alice Keppel (Mrs. George Keppel), the great-grandmother of Camilla Parker-Bowles
, the Duchess of Cornwall and wife of Prince Charles
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on King Edward VII from Fact Monster:
- King Edward VII - Biography of King Edward VII, King of Great Britain and Ireland, 1901-1910
- Émile François Loubet - Loubet, Émile François Loubet, Émile François , 1838–1929, ...
- Esher, Reginald Baliol Brett, 2d Viscount - Esher, Reginald Baliol Brett, 2d Viscount Esher, Reginald Baliol Brett, 2d Viscount , ...
- The Queen's Birthday - The Queen's public birthday usually falls on the second Saturday in June.|The Queen's public birthday usually falls on the second Saturday in June
- 1908 Olympics - 1908 Olympics London Top 10 Standings Leading Medal Winners Track & Field Swimming Team Sports ...