Born: 8 December 1765
Died: 8 January 1825
Birthplace: Westboro, Massachusetts
Best known as: Inventor of the cotton gin
Eli Whitney went down in history as the inventor of the cotton gin, a machine made to extract seeds from cotton, patented in 1794. Whitney spent a decade fighting patent infringements, and years of litigation left him nearly penniless by 1804. Whether he was the sole inventor of the gin is still a matter of debate, yet Whitney clearly had a knack for manufacturing and business: after the cotton gin he went into the firearms business, using his mechanical skills to design a system for manufacturing identical and interchangeable parts for rifles. He operated a successful firearms factory near New Haven, Connecticut until he retired around 1820.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Eli Whitney from Fact Monster:
- Eli Whitney - Eli Whitney Born: 1765 Birthplace: Westboro, Mass. Cotton gin—Whitney invented the cotton ...
- Eli Whitney - Whitney, Eli Whitney, Eli, 1765–1825, American inventor of the cotton gin, b. Westboro, ...
- December 8 Birthdays: Eli Whitney - December 8 birthdays: Eli Whitney, Lee J. Cobb, Jean Sibelius, Aristide Maillol, Mary, Queen of Scots, Christina, William C. Durant, Sinead O'Connor, Teri Hatcher, Kim Basinger, Jim Morrison, David Carradine, Sammy Davis, Jr., James Thurber, Diego Rivera
- Eli Whitney - Biography of Eli Whitney, Inventor of the cotton gin
- Westborough - Westborough Westborough, town (1990 pop. 14,133), Worcester co., E central Mass., on the Assabet ...