Elizabeth Barrett BrowningPoet
Born: 6 March 1806
Died: 29 June 1861
Birthplace: Durham, England
Best known as: Author of Aurora Leigh and wife of Robert Browning
<p>Name at birth: Elizabeth Barrett</p>
After anonymously publishing a book of poetry and a translation of Aeschylus' Prometheus Bound, Elizabeth Barrett published The Seraphim and Other Poems in 1838 under her own name. Her literary success drew the attention of poet Robert Browning and they met and fell in love. In defiance of her father, and in spite of ill-health, she married Browning secretly in 1846. She continued to publish poems, including the "novel in verse" Aurora Leigh, published in 1857.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Elizabeth Barrett Browning from Fact Monster:
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning - Browning, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Elizabeth Barrett, 1806–61, English poet, b. Durham. A ...
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning - Biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Author of Aurora Leigh and wife of Robert Browning
- Bion - Bion Bion , fl. 2d cent.? B.C., Greek bucolic poet, an imitator of Theocritus, b. Phlossa, near ...
- Famous Couples | Robert and Elizabeth Browning - A secret courtship between two legendary poets
- Richard Henry Horne - Horne, Richard Henry Horne, Richard Henry, or Richard Hengist Horne,1802–84, English author. ...