Eric ClaptonGuitarist / Rock Musician
Born: 30 March 1945
Birthplace: Ripley, Surrey, England
Best known as: The rock guitar god who did "Layla"
Eric Clapton earned the nickname "Slowhand" while playing guitar for a succession of hot 1960s bands: The Yardbirds, John Mayhall and the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominoes. While with Derek and the Dominoes, he recorded the rock classic "Layla." During the 1970s Clapton played as a guest with some of the greatest performers of the era, and had solo hits in "After Midnight" and a cover of Bob Marley's
"I Shot The Sheriff." In the 1980s and '90s, Clapton met with even more critical and popular success, and had a string of hits, including the top single "Tears in Heaven," about the death of his young son.
Clapton has been inducted three separate times into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame… Another guitarist who played with the Yardbirds was Jimmy Page, later of the supergroup Led Zeppelin.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Eric Clapton from Fact Monster:
- Eric Clapton - Eric Clapton (Eric Clapp) blues-rock singer, guitarist, composer Born: 3/30/1945 Birthplace: ...
- Eric Clapton - Biography of Eric Clapton, The rock guitar god who did "Layla"
- Carla Bruni - Carla Bruni (Carla Bruni Tedeschi) model Born: 12/23/1967 Birthplace: Turin, Italy Italian-born ...
- Kenneth Babyface Edmonds - Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds songwriter, producer, singer Born: 4/10/1959 Birthplace: ...
- Jimmy Page - Jimmy Page musician Born: 1/9/1944 Birthplace: Heston, England Page started his music career in ...