Fred AstaireActor / Dancer
Born: 10 May 1899
Died: 22 June 1987 (pneumonia )
Birthplace: Omaha, Nebraska
Best known as: Hollywood's most famous dancer
<p>Name at birth: Frederick Austerlitz</p>
Fred Astaire was the American movie dancer of the 1930s and 1940s. Famed for his mixture of elegance and nice-guy charm, he was a popular romantic lead despite his lack of typical movie star good looks. His dance routines are a staple of movie highlight reels. He was often paired with dancing actress Ginger Rogers; their movies together included Flying Down to Rio (1933), Top Hat (1935), and Swing Time (1936).
Astaire was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his non-dancing appearance in the 1974 disaster film The Towering Inferno.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Fred Astaire from Fact Monster:
- Fred Astaire - Fred Astaire (Frederick Austerlitz) dancer, actor Born: 5/10/1899 Birthplace: Omaha, Nebraska ...
- Fred Astaire - Astaire, Fred Astaire, Fred , 1899–1987, American dancer, actor, and singer, b. Omaha, Nebr., ...
- Fred Astaire - Biography of Fred Astaire, Hollywood's most famous dancer
- Ginger Rogers - Ginger Rogers (Virginia McMath) actress, dancer Born: 7/16/1911 Birthplace: Independence, Missouri ...
- Irving Berlin - Irving Berlin (Israel Baline) songwriter Born: 5/11/1888 Birthplace: Temum, Russia Considered by ...