Freddy AduSoccer Player
Born: 2 June 1989
Birthplace: Tema, Ghana
Best known as: Ghanian-American teenage soccer phenom
Speedy and highly gifted, Freddy Adu became a super soccer prodigy in the early 2000s. He played his first international matches with the U.S. under-17 national team in March of 2003; he was only 13, making him the youngest national team player ever. Born in Ghana, Adu moved to the U.S. with his mother and brother at age 8 and became an American citizen in 2003. Adu's remarkable play has earned him comparisons with earlier teen wonders like Pele
. In November of 2003, Adu signed a six-year deal with Major League Soccer (MLS) and began play with the team D.C. United in the 2004 season. After three seasons, during which he complained publicly about his role on the team, he was traded to Real Salt Lake in December of 2006. The next year the MLS agreed to cancel his contract and in July 2007 transferred Adu to Benfica, a team based in Lisbon, Portugal.
Some critics have questioned Adu’s age, but U.S. officials have accepted his Ghanian birth certificate, which lists his birth date as 2 June 1989… Upon joining the MLS in 2003, Adu signed a reported $1 million contract with shoe maker Nike… Legendary soccer star Eusebio also signed with Benfica at age 18.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Freddy Adu from Fact Monster:
- Freddy Adu - Freddy Adu Born: June 2, 1989 Birthplace: Ghana Soccer professional soccer player, made history in ...
- Freddy Adu - Biography of Freddy Adu, Ghanian-American teenage soccer phenom
- Young Sports Stars - Young Sports Stars Freddy Adu Andre Agassi Oksana Baiul Drew Bledsoe Sergi Bruguera Kobe Bryant ...
- This Day in History: April 3 - April 3 1860 First pony express service began. 1882 Outlaw Jesse James was shot in the back by Bob ...
- Joe Jonas - Biography of Joe Jonas, The "hottie" in the Jonas Brothers band