Born: 22 November 1819
Died: 22 December 1880 (Natural causes )
Birthplace: Warwickshire, England
Best known as: The author of Middlemarch
<p>Name at birth: Mary Ann (or Marian) Evans</p>
George Eliot was the masculine pen name of the writer Mary Ann Evans, one of Victorian England's leading novelists. Her first stories appeared in Blackwood's magazine, and were followed by novels including The Mill on the Floss (1860), Silas Marner (1861), and Middlemarch (1862). Her work was popular with critics and the public alike, and in later years her novels were especially valued for their detailed portrayals of rural English life.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on George Eliot from Fact Monster:
- George Eliot - Eliot, George Eliot, George, pseud. of Mary Ann or Marian Evans,1819–80, English novelist, b. ...
- George Eliot - Biography of George Eliot, The author of Middlemarch
- Highgate - Highgate Highgate, residential area within Camden, Islington, and Haringey boroughs, London, ...
- Bedworth - Bedworth Bedworth , town (1991 pop. 41,991), Warwickshire, central England. Located in a former ...
- George Henry Lewes - Lewes, George Henry Lewes, George Henry , 1817–78, English critic and author. As editor of ...