Gianni VersaceFashion Designer
Born: 2 December 1946
Died: 15 July 1997 (shot to death )
Birthplace: Reggio Calabria, Italy
Best known as: The superstar Italian fashion designer who was killed in Miami Beach
Years of designing for the theater earned him a respectable reputation in the fashion industry, but it was his collaborations with American photographer Richard Avedon that helped Gianni Versace become one of the world's elite designers. His 1982 collection introduced metallic garments that would become his trademark, and his elaborate stage costumes for Elton John
in the late '80s helped cement his reputation as one of the beautiful people. At the time of his murder in 1997, Versace had an extensive empire that included boutiques, fragrances and household products. He was shot to death outside his Miami Beach home, the last victim in the killing spree of fugitive Andrew Cunanan. Versace's sister Donatella succeeded him as head of the fashion house.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Gianni Versace from Fact Monster:
- Gianni Versace - Gianni Versace fashion designer Born: 12/2/1946 Birthplace: Reggio di Calabria, Italy Versace ...
- Gianni Versace - Versace, Gianni Versace, Gianni, 1946–97, Italian fashion designer, b. Reggio Calabria. A ...
- Gianni Versace - Biography of Gianni Versace, The superstar Italian fashion designer who was killed in Miami Beach
- U-V - U-V U2 Tracey Ullman Liv Ullmann Skeet Ulrich Amber Valletta Abigail Van Buren Lee Van Cleef ...
- December 2 Birthdays: Georges Seurat - December 2 birthdays: Georges Seurat, Lucy Liu, Nelly Furtado, Gianni Versace, Britney Spears, Monica Seles, Julie Harris, Peter Carl Goldmark, Alexander Haig, Maria Callas