Born: c. 1060 B.C.
Died: c. 1030 B.C. (killed in battle )
Birthplace: Gath, Palestine
Best known as: The giant slain by David's slingshot
Goliath was a giant soldier from Gath in ancient Palestine, according to a famous story in the biblical book 1 Samuel
. The 17th chapter describes an armed clash between the Philistines, led by Goliath, and the army of Israel. Despite Goliath's intimidating size, the unlikely Judean boy-hero David
meets him on the field of battle. David slings a fatal stone that hits the giant between the eyes and fells him. David beheads the fallen Goliath, Israel wins in a rout and David goes on to become king. In sports, politics, business and other arenas, a competition between seemingly mismatched opponents is sometimes described as "David and Goliath" or "David versus Goliath."
In 2005, archaelogists at the likely site of Gath found the word “Goliath” inscribed in an ancient language on a pottery shard… According to the King James version of the Bible, Goliath’s height was “six cubits and a span” — roughly three meters, or more than nine feet, in modern terms.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Goliath from Fact Monster:
- Goliath - Goliath Goliath , in the Bible, a giant of Gath, a Philistine city, who challenged the Israelites. ...
- Goliath - Biography of Goliath, The giant slain by David's slingshot
- Giants - Giants Albanian giants are as tall as pine trees, with black beards that reach to their knees. They ...
- Lahmi - Lahmi Lahmi , in the Bible, giant brother of Goliath killed by Elhanan.
- Ephes-dammim - Ephes-dammim Ephes-dammim , in the Bible, bivouac of the Philistines when David killed Goliath. An ...