Hayao MiyazakiAnimator / Filmmaker
Born: 5 January 1941
Birthplace: Tokyo, Japan
Best known as: The animator who made Spirited Away
Hayao Miyazaki's lavish animated features Princess Mononoke (Mononoke-hime, 1997) and Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, 2001) have made him one of Japan's most successful filmmakers. Miyazaki began his animation career in 1963 at Toei Douga studios. He made his way up the studio ranks and worked primarily in television in the late 1970s and early '80s. He directed Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds (Kaze no tani no Naushika, 1984), a film version of his popular manga (comic book) serial, and quickly became one of Japan's top names in animation. A string of critical and box office successes followed, many of which became international hits and award winners (Spirited Away won an Oscar in 2002 for Best Animated Feature). His features include My Neighbor Totoro (Tonari no Totoro, 1988), Kiki's Delivery Service (Majo no Takkyûbin, 1989) and Howl's Moving Castle (Hauru no ugoku shiro, 2004).
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Hayao Miyazaki from Fact Monster:
- Hayao Miyazaki - Miyazaki, Hayao Miyazaki, Hayao , 1941–, Japanese animator. Japan's preeminent maker of ...
- Hayao Miyazaki - Biography of Hayao Miyazaki, The animator who made Spirited Away
- Ponyo (Gake no ue no Ponyo) - Starring Cate Blanchett, Noah Cyrus, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Frankie Jonas
- My Neighbor Totoro (Tonari no Totoro) - Starring Noriko Hidaka, Chika Sakamoto, Shigesato Itoi, Sumi Shimamoto, Tanie Kitabayashi
- Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta) - Starring ShÃ»ichirÃ´ Moriyama, Tokiko KatÃ´, Sanshi Katsura, Greg Ellis, Tsunehiko KamijÃ´