Jane FondaActivist / Actor
Born: 21 December 1937
Birthplace: New York City,
Best known as: Outspoken Oscar-winning actress and Ted Turner's ex-wife
The daughter of screen legend Henry Fonda
(and the sister of actor Peter Fonda
), Jane Fonda started in the movies with the forgotten 1960 comedy Tall Story
. A decade later she was a movie star in her own right, having gone from the sex kitten in 1968's Barbarella
to earning a reputation as a serious actress, winning Oscars for her roles in Klute
(1971, directed by Alan Pakula
) and Coming Home
(1978). In the 1970s she was also famous as an outspoken opponent of U.S. involvement in Vietnam. She made a highly publicized trip to Hanoi, denouncing U.S. policy and earning the uncomplimentary nickname "Hanoi Jane" -- a stunt she never lived down. In the 1980s she suddenly had a new career as the star and producer of the "Jane Fonda's Workout" exercise videos and books. She married media mogul Ted Turner
in 1991 and semi-retired from the movies. They separated in 2000 and Fonda filed for divorce in April of 2001. Her other films include The China Syndrome
(1979, with Jack Lemmon
), 9 to 5
(1980, with Dolly Parton
), Stanley and Iris
(1990, with Robert DeNiro
) and Monster-in-Law
(2005, with Jennifer Lopez
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Jane Fonda from Fact Monster:
- Jane Fonda - Jane Fonda actress Born: 12/21/1937 Birthplace: New York City This Academy Award-winner began her ...
- Jane Fonda - Fonda, Jane Fonda, Jane, 1937–, American actress, b. New York City; daughter of Henry Fonda ...
- Jane Fonda - Biography of Jane Fonda, Outspoken Oscar-winning actress and Ted Turner's ex-wife
- Henry Fonda - Henry Fonda actor Born: 5/16/1905 Birthplace: Grand Island, Nebraska Academy and Tony Award-winning ...
- Jon Voight - Jon Voight actor, director, writer Born: 12/29/1938 Birthplace: Yonkers, New York Three-time ...