Jiang ZeminPolitical Leader
Born: 17 August 1926
Birthplace: Yangzhou, Jiangsu Province, China
Best known as: President of the People's Republic of China, 1993-2003
Jiang earned a university degree in electrical engineering and began his career in the Communist Party while still a student. He spent years as a factory manager (even training at the Soviet Union's Stalin
Automobile Works in 1955) before making his way into politics. By 1985 he had become mayor of Shanghai, a high-profile position which gave him an international reputation. He became General Secretary of the Communist Party of China in June 1989, cementing his position as the protege of and heir apparent to Deng Xiaoping
. Jiang became President of the People's Republic of China in 1993, and assumed full leadership upon Deng's 1997 death. He stepped down as President in March of 2003 and was succeeded by Hu Jintao
According to the official party biography, Jiang “loves to read Mark Twain.”
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Jiang Zemin from Fact Monster:
- Jiang Zemin - Jiang Zemin Jiang Zemin , 1926–, Chinese government official, general secretary of the ...
- Jiang Zemin - Biography of Jiang Zemin, President of the People's Republic of China, 1993-2003
- 2003 World History - 2003 World History George W. Bush (1946– ) Saddam Hussein (1937– ) INA/Reuters/Archive ...
- 2002 World History - 2002 World History Jacques Chirac (1932–) Tony Blair (1953–) Hugo Chavez (1954–) ...
- This Day in History: November 15 - November 15 1763 Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon began surveying the Mason-Dixon line. 1777 The ...