Born: 28 January 1910
Died: 28 January 1973 (internal injuries )
Birthplace: Vienna, Austria
Best known as: Sergeant Schultz on Hogan's Heroes
John Banner, a Jew, fled his native Austria in 1938 after the Nazi Anschluss. Years later he got his revenge by playing the buffoonish German sergeant Hans Schultz in the popular American TV series Hogan's Heroes. Schultz's nervous catch-phrase, "I know nothing! Nooooothing!" is still in pop culture circulation. Banner had character roles in many movies, including To The Victor (1948), Never Say Goodbye (1956) and The Interns (1962); he played Nazi Rudolf Hess in Operation Eichmann (1961).
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on John Banner from Fact Monster:
- John Banner - Biography of John Banner, Sergeant Schultz on Hogan's Heroes
- Richard Dawson - Biography of Richard Dawson, The host of Family Feud
- Bob Crane - Biography of Bob Crane, Star of TV's Hogan's Heroes
- January 28 Birthdays: Jackson Pollock - January 28 birthdays: Jackson Pollock, Roger Vadim, John Banner, Elijah Wood, Sarah McLachlan, William Seward Burroughs, Sir Henry Morton Stanley, Arthur Rubinstein, Colette, Alan Alda
- Selected Biographies: B - Selected biographies of well-known people and fictional characters