John BoltonPolitical Figure
Born: 20 November 1948
Birthplace: Baltimore, Maryland
Best known as: Mustachioed U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, 2005-06
John Bolton was installed as America's ambassador to the United Nations by President George W. Bush
on 1 August 2005. Bolton earned a law degree from Yale in 1974 and spent seven years at the Washington law firm of Covington & Burling (1974-81) before accepting a post as general counsel for the U.S. Agency for International Development in 1981, at the beginning of the Ronald Reagan
administration. Over the next two decades Bolton worked in a variety of federal posts in the administrations of Reagan and George Bush
the elder; when Bush the younger took office in 2001, Bolton became Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security. In March of 2005, Bush nominated Bolton to replace John Danforth at the United Nations, an organization Bolton had often criticized. The nomination failed to reach a confirmation vote in the Senate, with some senators troubled by reports that Bolton had bullied subordinates and possibly used his position to gather intelligence on perceived rivals in the federal government. Because of the controversy, Bolton became a familiar face in the news, easily recognized by his big, bushy mustache. Congress went into recess late that summer, Bush used a constitutional maneuver called a recess appointment to put Bolton in the job while Congress was away. The appointment was good until the end of the Congressional session in 2006. Bolton resigned his post in December of 2006.
Bolton got his undergraduate degree from Yale in 1970 before also receiving his law degree there in 1974… He married the former Gretchen Brainerd in 1986; they have one child, Jennifer… Bolton is no relation to British comic book artist John Bolton, or to White House Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on John Bolton from Fact Monster:
- John Bolton - Biography of John Bolton, Mustachioed U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, 2005-06
- Joshua Bolten - Biography of Joshua Bolten, Chief of Staff to George W. Bush, 2006-2009
- November 20 Birthdays: Robert F. Kennedy - November 20 birthdays: Robert F. Kennedy, John Bolton, Richard Dawson, Alistair Cooke, Alexandra Danilova, Norman M. Thomas, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Robert C Byrd, Edwin Hubble, Nadine Gordimer
- March 2005 - March 2005 World Leftist Government Assumes Power in Uruguay (March 1): Tabaré ...
- December 2006 - December 2006 World Thousands Protest in Lebanon (Dec. 1): Members of Hezbollah and its supporters ...