John SingletonFilmmaker / Writer
Born: 6 January 1968
Birthplace: Los Angeles, California
Best known as: The writer and director of Boyz N the Hood
John Singleton is a California filmmaker whose first movie, 1991's Boyz N the Hood
, made him an Oscar-nominated director at the age of 24. Singleton was still a film student at the University of Southern California when he got the deal to make the feature, which included future Hollywood stars Cuba Gooding, Jr.
, Laurence Fishburne
(billed as Larry Fishburne) and Ice Cube
. The movie's success brought gangsta rap and the struggles in south central L.A. to mainstream America, and Singleton became the first black and youngest-ever Oscar nominee for directing (he was also nominated for the screenplay). His movies since then have received mixed reviews and include Poetic Justice
(1993, starring Janet Jackson
and Tupac Shakur
(1997, starring Ving Rhames
(starring Samuel L. Jackson
), 2 Fast 2 Furious
(2001) and Four Brothers
(2005, starring Mark Wahlberg
). Singleton has also produced well-received independent films, including Hustle & Flow
(2005, starring Terrence Howard
) and Black Snake Moan
(2006, with Christina Ricci
Singleton directed Michael Jackson‘s music video “Remember the Time.”
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on John Singleton from Fact Monster:
- Lyndhurst, John Singleton Copley, Baron - Lyndhurst, John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst, John Singleton Copley, Baron, 1772–1863, ...
- John Singleton - Biography of John Singleton, The writer and director of Boyz N the Hood
- Peter Pelham - Pelham, Peter Pelham, Peter , c.1695–1751, American engraver and painter, b. England; ...
- Henry Benbridge - Benbridge, Henry Benbridge, Henry, 1744–1812, American portrait painter and miniaturist, b. ...
- portraiture: American Portraiture - American Portraiture In the United States during the 18th cent. the painters John Singleton Copley, ...