Born: 29 April 1946
Birthplace: Baltimore, Maryland
Best known as: Oddball filmmaker who made Polyester and Pecker
John Waters, already well-known in his native Baltimore for his underground movies, hit it big in the 1970s with low-budget, bad-taste classics such as Pink Flamingoes
. His first "Hollywood" movie was Hairspray
in 1988, starring Ricki Lake
and Debbie Harry
. Waters is famous for his love of camp and kitsch, and he proudly demonstrates an commitment to offending some audiences. In spite of bigger budgets in the 1990s, he retained creative control of his films, which include Cry Baby
, Serial Mom
and Cecil B. Demented
John Waters is unrelated to the Australian actor of the same name… His 1988 movie Hairspray was made into a successful Broadway musical, then filmed again by director Adam Shankman (2007) with a cast that included Christopher Walken, John Travolta and Queen Latifah.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on John Waters from Fact Monster:
- John Waters - Biography of John Waters, Oddball filmmaker who made Polyester and Pecker
- Ricki Lake - Ricki Lake talk-show host, actress Born: 9/21/1968 Birthplace: New York City Talk-show host and ...
- Hairspray - Starring John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Amanda Bynes, James Marsden
- Hairspray (1988) - Starring Sonny Bono, Ruth Brown, Divine, Deborah Harry, Ricki Lake
- Ricki Lake - Biography of Ricki Lake, Television talk-show host