Jonathan FrakesActor / Filmmaker
Born: 19 August 1952
Birthplace: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Best known as: Commander Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation
Jonathan Frakes played roguish Commander William T. Riker in the TV and film versions of Star Trek: The Next Generation
(1987-94). Frakes started his acting career on the New York stage, but in the late 1970s re-located to southern California to work in television. After a string of guest spots on top prime time programs, he landed the role of Riker, the impetuous Starfleet loverboy second in command to Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart
). As the series went on, Frakes found his way behind the camera to direct several episodes, and after the series ended he directed the feature films Star Trek: First Contact
(1996, with James Cromwell
) and Star Trek: Insurrection
(1998). He continues to act and do voice work, but in recent years has worked mostly as a director of television and film. He directed several episodes of TV's Roswell
(1999-2002) and the feature films Clockstoppers
(2002) and Thunderbirds
(2004, with Vanessa Anne Hudgens
). In 2006 he taught film direction at Rockport College in Maine.
Frakes is married to actress Genie Francis, the Laura of “Luke and Laura” fame on the TV soap opera General Hospital… His birthday, 19 August, is the same as Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry (1921-1991).
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Jonathan Frakes from Fact Monster:
- Jonathan Frakes - Jonathan Frakes actor Born: 8/19/1952 Birthplace: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Actor who has found his ...
- Jonathan Frakes - Biography of Jonathan Frakes, Commander Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Vanessa Anne Hudgens - Biography of Vanessa Anne Hudgens, The co-star of the High School Musical films
- LeVar Burton - Biography of LeVar Burton, The blind officer on Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Star Trek Generations - Starring Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn