Johann Sebastian BachComposer / Organist
Born: 21 March 1685
Died: 28 July 1750
Birthplace: Eisenach, Thuringia (now Germany)
Best known as: German Baroque composer
Johann Sebastian Bach, the most renowned member of a distinguished family of German musicians and composers, is considered one of the greatest composers in history. A virtuoso organist who was famous throughout Germany during his career, Bach served as court musician and composer in Arnstadt, Weimar, Köthen and finally as cantor and director of music at Leipzig (1723-50). His most famous works include The Brandenberg Concertos, Well-Tempered Clavier and Art of the Fugue. Bach's fame during his lifetime was due to his ability as an organist more than his reputation as a composer, but since the 19th century he has been hailed as a genius whose work represents the peak of the Baroque era.
Bach fathered 20 children, some of whom were also celebrated musicians, and he was the grandfather of noted composer Johann Christian Bach (1735-82)...Bach's music inspired a 1968 hit record: Switched-on Bach
by electronic music pioneer Wendy Carlos
... Popular cellist Yo-Yo Ma
is known for his interpretations of several Bach pieces.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Johann Sebastian Bach from Fact Monster:
- Bach - Bach Bach , German family of distinguished musicians who flourished from the 16th through the 18th ...
- Johann Sebastian Bach - Bach, Johann Sebastian Bach, Johann Sebastian , 1685–1750, German composer and organist, b. ...
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Bibliography - Bibliography The classic study of his life and music is by P. Spitta (tr. 1884–85, repr. ...
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Compositions - Compositions Since few of Bach's many works were published in his lifetime, exact dates cannot ...
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Life - Life Born into a gifted family (see Bach, family), J. S. Bach was devoted to music from childhood. ...