Karl MarxPhilosopher / Sociologist
Born: 5 May 1818
Died: 14 March 1883
Birthplace: Trier, Germany(Prussia)
Best known as: Founder of modern communism
Karl Marx studied law and philosophy, and was initially influenced by the works of G. W. F. Hegel
. Marx rejected the idealism of Hegel and developed a more materialistic theory of history as science, ultimately predicting that the triumph of the working class was inevitable. With his collaborator Friedrich Engels
, Marx published the Communist Manifesto
in 1848. Exiled from Europe, Marx lived in London, England and earned money through contributions to various newspapers, including the New York Tribune
. Marx devoted the last decades of his life to working on Das Kapital
, and was active in early communist organizations. His work greatly influenced modern socialism, and he is considered one of the founders of economic history and sociology.
Marx’s theories were put into action in Russia by revolutionary V.I. Lenin… Marx is no relation to comedian Groucho Marx.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Karl Marx from Fact Monster:
- Karl Marx - Marx, Karl Marx, Karl, 1818–83, German social philosopher, the chief theorist of modern ...
- May 5 Birthdays: Karl Marx - May 5 birthdays: Karl Marx, Tammy Wynette, Arthur L Schawlow, Tyrone Power, Soren Kierkegaard , Nellie Bly
- Karl-Marx-Stadt - Karl-Marx-Stadt: Karl-Marx-Stadt: see Chemnitz, Germany.
- Chemnitz - Chemnitz Chemnitz , formerly Karl-Marx-Stadt, city (1994 pop. 279,520), Saxony, E central Germany, ...
- Karl Marx: Early Work - Early Work In 1842 he became editor of the Rheinische Zeitung, but his demands for radical reforms ...