Kofi AnnanPolitical Figure
Born: 8 April 1938
Birthplace: Kumasi, Ghana
Best known as: The 7th U.N. Secretary-General, 1997-2006
Kofi Annan was Secretary-General of the United Nations from 1997 through 2006. He succeeded Boutros Boutros-Ghali of Egypt in the post. Annan was a U.N. veteran who took his first job with the organization in 1962 and worked his way up through various posts, including Deputy Director to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees (1980-83) and Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping (1995-96). Annan was the first Secretary-General chosen from the ranks of the U.N.'s staff. He was also the first black man to hold the post and the second African (after Boutros-Ghali). In 2001 Annan and the United Nations were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for their ongoing work in global peace and cooperation. Annan was elected for a second five-year term in 2001, and served until the end of 2006. He was succeeded on 1 January 2007 by South Korean Ban Ki-moon
Annan attended Macalaster College in St. Paul, Minnesota, graduating in 1961… He was a fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management in 1971-72, receiving a Master of Science degree… His wife Nane Annan, a lawyer and artist, is from Sweden… Previous Secretaries-General: Trygve Lie (Norway), 1946-52; Dag Hammarskjöld (Sweden), 1953-61; U Thant (Myanmar, formerly Burma), 1961-71; Kurt Waldheim (Austria), 1972-81; Javier de Perez de Cuellar (Peru), 1982-91; Boutros Boutros-Ghali (Egypt), 1992-96.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Kofi Annan from Fact Monster:
- April 8 Birthdays: Kofi Annan - April 8 birthdays: Kofi Annan , Mary Pickford, Patricia Arquette, Barbara Kingsolver, John Havlicek, Betty Ford, Michael Bennett, Sonja Henie, Harvey Williams Cushing
- Iraq Crisis: Who's Who - Movers and shakers in the Iraq crisis
- Kofi Annan - Biography of Kofi Annan, The 7th U.N. Secretary-General, 1997-2006
- 1996 World History - 1996 World History Ella Fitzgerald (1918–1996) Archive Photos Madeleine Albright (1937– ...
- Ban Ki-Moon - Ban Ki-Moon Ban Ki-Moon , 1944–, South Korean diplomat, secretary-general of the United ...