Born: c. 1215
Best known as: Founder of the Mongol Dynasty in China
The grandson of marauding conqueror Genghis Khan
, Kublai Khan is famous as the founder of the Yuan or Mongol Dynasty of China. Kublai Khan centralized taxes and administration, improved agriculture, and established a famously splendid court at Cambaluc (now Beijing). He also welcomed foreign traders, including the traveler Marco Polo
. He was immortalized in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's
1816 poem Kubla Khan
, which begins "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree."
Kublai Khan is no relation to actress Madeline Kahn (1942-1999).
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Kublai Khan from Fact Monster:
- Kublai Khan - Kublai Khan Kublai Khan , 1215–94, Mongol emperor, founder of the Yüan dynasty of China. ...
- Mongolia - Information on Mongolia — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Kublai Khan - Biography of Kublai Khan, Founder of the Mongol Dynasty in China
- China - Information on China — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- 1200–1299 (A.D.) World History - 1200–1299 (A.D.) World History King John (1167–1216) Thomas Aquinas (1225–1274) ...