Laura BushU.S. First Lady
Born: 4 November 1946
Birthplace: Midland, Texas
Best known as: The wife of former president George W. Bush
<p>Name at birth: Laura Welch</p>
As the wife of George W. Bush, Laura Bush was First Lady of the United States from 2001-2009. She holds a bachelor's degree in education from Southern Methodist University and a master's degree in library science from the University of Texas; after graduation she worked as an elementary school teacher and a librarian in Texas schools. She married Bush in 1977. During her husband's years as governor of Texas (1995-2001), Laura Bush became known as an advocate for education and literacy -- issues she continued to pursue in the White House during her husband's two terms as president (2001-09). She published a memoir, Spoken From the Heart, in 2010. The Bushes have twin daughters, Barbara and Jenna Bush.
Laura Bush was succeeded as First Lady by Michelle Obama on 20 January 2009.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Laura Bush from Fact Monster:
- Laura Welch Bush - Laura Welch Bush First Lady Born: 11/4/1946 Birthplace: Midland, Texas A Midland, Texas native, ...
- Laura Bush - Biography of Laura Bush, The wife of former president George W. Bush
- November 4 Birthdays: Laura Bush - November 4 birthdays: Laura Bush, Luis Figo, Diddy, Matthew McConaughey, Loretta Swit, Walter Cronkite, Will Rogers, Art Carney, Harry George Ferguson
- Sharon Olds - Biography of Sharon Olds, Sharon Olds has published seven volumes of poetry, including The Dead and the Living, which won the National Book Critics Circle Award in 19…
- Lauren Bush - Biography of Lauren Bush, Fashion-model niece of former president George W. Bush