Born: 10 February 1967
Birthplace: Los Angeles, California
Best known as: Star of Jurassic Park and Blue Velvet
Laura Dern is a lanky blonde leading lady of the big screen, best known for her roles in David Lynch
's Blue Velvet
(1986) and Steven Spielberg
's Jurassic Park
(1993). Her parents are actors Bruce Dern and Diane Ladd, and she grew up in Los Angeles and New York surrounded by bohemian actors and filmmakers. As a child she made a few brief appearances in her mom's movies, including Martin Scorsese
's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
(1974, starring Ellen Burstyn
), then studied acting into her teens. She played earnest and innocent in her early roles, including Smooth Talk
(1985) and Blue Velvet
, and then proved she could play nutty and reckless in Lynch's Wild At Heart
(1990, with Nicolas Cage
) and the sort-of comedy Citizen Ruth
(1996, with Tippi Hedren
). An Oscar nominee for Rambling Rose
(1991), Dern has also had supporting roles in films like October Sky
(1999, with Jake Gyllenhaal
) and I Am Sam
(2001, starring Sean Penn
). Despite her big-budget Jurassic Park
roles (she was also in Jurassic Park III
), Dern has a reputation as a risk-taker, thanks in no small part to her collaborations with Lynch in films like the 2006 feature Inland Empire
Dern is 5’10” tall, according to a 1990 story in The Village Voice… She married musician Ben Harper in 2005… Dern and Diane Ladd played daughter and mother in Wild At Heart.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Laura Dern from Fact Monster:
- Laura Dern - Laura Dern actress Born: 2/10/1967 Birthplace: Los Angeles The daughter of actors Bruce Dern and ...
- Laura Dern - Biography of Laura Dern, Star of Jurassic Park and Blue Velvet
- Bruce Dern - Bruce Dern actor Born: 6/4/1936 Birthplace: Winnetka, Illinois Often typecast as a psychotic, he ...
- Diane Ladd - Diane Ladd actress Born: 11/29/1942 Birthplace: Meridian, Mississippi A former model and dancer at ...
- 66th Annual Golden Globe Awards - 66th Annual Golden Globe Awards The 66th Annual Golden Globe Awards were presented January 11, ...