Leopold BloomFictional Character
Best known as: Wandering lead character of Ulysses
Leopold Bloom is the fictional star of the James Joyce
, first published in 1922. The book follows a single day in the life of Bloom, an advertising salesman, as he travels about the city of Dublin, Ireland. (The day is 16 June 1904, and June 16th is now whimsically celebrated as "Bloomsday" in many cities around the world.) Bloom's wanderings are parallelled with those of the Greek hero Ulysses
in the ancient classic The Odyssey
, written by Homer
. Other characters in Ulysses
include Stephen Dedalus (the hero of Joyce's earlier book A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
) and Bloom's wife Molly, who has become something of a literary celebrity in her own right.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Leopold Bloom from Fact Monster:
- Leopold Bloom - Biography of Leopold Bloom, Wandering lead character of Ulysses
- anti-hero - anti-hero anti-hero, principal character of a modern literary or dramatic work who lacks the ...
- This Day in History: June 16 - June 16 1487 The Battle of Stoke ended the Wars of the Roses. 1858 Senate candidate Abraham Lincoln ...
- James Joyce - Biography of James Joyce, Author of Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake
- James Joyce: Technique and Vision - Technique and Vision Joyce's career displays a consistent development. In each of his four ...