Born: 28 February 1901
Died: 19 August 1994
Birthplace: Portland, Oregon
Best known as: Vitamin C advocate and two-time winner of the Nobel Prize
The winner of the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1954, Linus Pauling is now considered one of the greatest chemists of the 20th century. He's also the only person ever to win two unshared Nobel Prizes: as an outspoken activist against nuclear testing, he also won the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1962. After 1970 his fame -- and controversial reputation -- centered on his insistence that Vitamin C had the power to fight cancer and the common cold.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Linus Pauling from Fact Monster:
- Linus Carl Pauling - Pauling, Linus Carl Pauling, Linus Carl , 1901–94, American chemist, b. Portland, Oreg. He ...
- Linus C. Pauling - Linus C. Pauling scientist, activist Born: 2/28/1901 Birthplace: Portland, Oregon Although he ...
- February 28 Birthdays: Linus Pauling - February 28 birthdays: Linus Pauling, Ben Hecht, Rene Antoine Ferchault de Reaumur, Bugsy Siegel, Mary Lyon, Michel de Montaigne, Mario Andretti, Zero Mostel
- Linus Pauling - Biography of Linus Pauling, Vitamin C advocate and two-time winner of the Nobel Prize
- sickle cell disease - sickle cell disease sickle cell disease or sickle cell anemia,inherited disorder of the blood in ...