Born: 26 October 1911
Died: 27 January 1972 (heart failure )
Birthplace: New Orleans, Louisiana
Best known as: Gospel singing legend
Mahalia Jackson grew up singing in church, moved from New Orleans to Chicago when she was a teenager, and eventually went into business in real estate and as a shop owner. All the while she continued to sing gospel, turning down offers to perform professionally. She finally began recording in the 1930s, and a decade later her own "Move On Up A Little Higher" became a million-seller. She toured the world, appeared in films and on television, and performed at the inauguration of U.S. president John F. Kennedy
. She is considered one of America's greatest gospel singers.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Mahalia Jackson from Fact Monster:
- Mahalia Jackson - Jackson, Mahalia Jackson, Mahalia , 1911–72, American gospel singer, b. New Orleans. She sang ...
- October 26 Birthdays: Mahalia Jackson - October 26 birthdays: Mahalia Jackson, Jon Heder, Sasha Cohen, Keith Urban, Pat Conroy, Domenico Scarlatti, Francois Mitterrand , Hillary Rodham Clinton , Beryl Markham, Bob Hoskins
- Mahalia Jackson - Biography of Mahalia Jackson, Gospel singing legend
- Women Who Left Their Stamps on History - Women Who Left Their “Stamps” on History Each of the following women have made a ...
- Women Who Left Their Stamps on History - Susan B. Anthony Dollar Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906) is the first woman to appear on U.S. coinage. ...