Born: 10 July 1871
Died: 18 November 1922 (pneumonia )
Birthplace: Auteuil, France
Best known as: Author of Remembrance of Things Past
From a well-to-do family, young Marcel Proust was a critic, translator and socialite in Paris at the turn of the century. After the deaths of his parents (in 1903 and 1905), Proust retreated from a busy social life to his notorious cork-lined room and worked the rest of his life on his masterpiece novel, A la Recherche du temps perdu (also known as Remembrance of Things Past, and more recently translated as In Search of Lost Time). The sprawling, autobiographical novel is considered one of the greatest works of French literature.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Marcel Proust from Fact Monster:
- Marcel Proust - Proust, Marcel Proust, Marcel , 1871–1922, French novelist, b. Paris. He is one of the great ...
- Marcel Proust - Biography of Marcel Proust, Author of Remembrance of Things Past
- symbolists - symbolists symbolists, in literature, a school originating in France toward the end of the 19th ...
- Ralph Fiennes - Biography of Ralph Fiennes, Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter films
- July 10 Birthdays: Arthur Ashe - July 10 birthdays: Arthur Ashe, Alice Munro, Saul Bellow, Camille Pissarro, Marcel Proust, Mary McLeod Bethune, David Brinkley, John Calvin