Maria MontessoriEducator / Physician
Born: 31 August 1870
Died: 6 May 1952
Birthplace: Rome, Italy
Best known as: The founder of Montessori schools
In 1894 Maria Montessori became the first woman physician in Italy. Her interest in children and education led her to open a children's school in 1907 in the slums outside Rome. Montessori put into practice her theory that children have a natural "tendency towards elevation," and created an environment for self-education and self-realization, with remarkable success. She became internationally famous and schools using the Montessori method now exist all over the world.
Copyright © 1998-2015 by Who2?, LLC. All rights reserved.
More on Maria Montessori from Fact Monster:
- Maria Montessori - Montessori, Maria Montessori, Maria , 1870–1952, Italian educator and physician. She was the ...
- August 31 Birthdays: Maria Montessori - August 31 birthdays: Maria Montessori, Richard Gere, Van Morrison, Alan Jay Lerner, Georg Jensen, Wilhelmina, Itzhak Perlman
- Maria Montessori: Bibliography - Bibliography See E. M. Standing, Maria Montessori (1958, repr. 1962) and The Montessori Revolution ...
- Maria Montessori: The Montessori Method - The Montessori Method The chief components of the Montessori method are self-motivation and ...
- Maria Montessori - Biography of Maria Montessori, The founder of Montessori schools